St Lawrence school were last inspected by Ofsted in October 2014 and received the rating of Good.
Specifically mentioned improvements mentioned were:
- The executive headteacher is determined, reflective and highly ambitious for pupils to make the best progress they can. She is well supported by a very enthusiastic team of governors, senior and middle leaders in this drive for excellence.
- New systems for checking on teaching have quickly raised the quality of teaching in the school and are accelerating pupils’ achievement in English and mathematics. Progress is now good in these subjects.
- Changes in the ways in which reading is taught are paying off. Pupils throughout the school use their knowledge of letters and sounds (phonics) increasingly well to work out new words and take pride in doing so.
- Governors hold the school to account very effectively. They have worked well with leaders across the federation to share skills and expertise to help this school to improve rapidly.
- Teachers have high expectations for their pupils. Everyone works well together to ensure pupils have the particular equipment and support that each pupil needs to enable them to learn well.
- The school sets challenging targets and checks pupils’ work and progress very carefully. As a result work is generally well matched to their needs. This all contributes to their good progress and improving attainment.
- There is a calm and purposeful working atmosphere in this school. Pupils behave well around the school and in lessons. The school works effectively to ensure pupils’ safety
Improvements suggested to move the school towards an Outstanding rating have been put in to the School's Improvement tab.
To view the full report please click St Lawrence School Ofsted Report - October 2014